NYC Half Marathon DetermiNation Team Training Log: Day 2

ACS DetermiNationAnd so it goes, training day 2!
This was a workout day.
Our overall coach sent out some info describing the work out, which was all about breathing and form.

Per the calendar, I knew I had to get out and do the run workout. Per the weather app I wasn’t looking forward to it.  The temps weren’t that bad, low 40s, which is kind of ideal running weather. However, it was dreary and overcast, not exactly enticing weather for a run.
IMAG2438But the calendar said I must run, so I sucked it up and got out there. The instructions said to warm up with a 10 minute run at conversational pace followed by breathing and form intervals of 1 minute breathing/form run and 1 minute individual run.

I wasn’t sure how I would handle any of this. I am still doing run/walk intervals (per my last post I attempted to increase that to 2:30 run/90 second walk…). So I figured I would start with my regular interval and take it from there.

Well, I surprised myself instead. I checked my watch, was coming up on 2 minutes run but I felt fine so I kept running. Surprise! I ran the full 10 minutes! I accomplished .87 of a mile, but the milestone really being my first lengthy non-stop run.
IMAG2435From there it was on to the workout interval. Practice belly breathing, making sure you inhales are the same length as your exhales, shoulders down, swing from the shoulders not the arms, keep wrists loose, let your arms guide you not your legs.

IMAG2437Well, it works for a period. I think I managed a solid 5 minutes of running my way and the form way.  However, after that the my way 1 minute run portion turned in to brisk walking instead. But I will say, I felt pretty solid. My breathing was ok, my lungs weren’t burning as much, I felt I was getting adequate air. My legs were felt, a bit tight, maybe a bit fatigued after my initial push, but I didn’t let that stop me.

Per our instruction guide for the workout, we had to run 30-40 minutes, so 20-25 wouldn’t cut it.  I stayed out there for 32 minutes, I felt wonderful at the end of the run. I don’t think I could have gone any further, I think my body would have rejected that notion and  would not have felt as good walking up the stairs to my home.

After the run, I did a few stretches then played with our favorite pal the foam roller. As my hip has been acting up again recently, I also opted for an epsom salt bath to relax my muscles and my sore hip. The wonder that is epsom salt, my hip felt fine the rest of the day. Let’s hope it stays that way!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s